Thursday, May 7, 2009

Supporting Virginia's Economy

I realize that Virginians are facing the toughest economic times since The Great Depression. Because the nation's economic downturn has taken it's toll on Virginia's workers, I support President Barack Obama's recently passed Stimulus Package (Congress' American Recovery and Reinvestment Act). I support it because it provides Virginians with $4 billion to improve it's state infrastructure while it puts more Virginians back to work.  

The bill also allows for $125 million in assistance to extend insurance benefits and provide retraining assistance to unemployed Virginians. Given the opportunity to serve Virginia as the 35th District Delegate, I would not elect to send the Stimulus funds back to Washington. Instead I would support Gov. Tim Kaine's statement that an additional $4.50 per worker annually is manageable for Virginia's employers.

This is particularly true since the additional $4.50 per worker would only be paid for those Virginians still unemployed 2 years after the Stimulus funds have taken their effect on Virginia's economy. This is a relatively small price to pay to avoid a worsening middle class economic meltdown that would otherwise translate into more suffering for our Virginia neighbors across the board. I would instead seek to provide immediate relief for unemployed Virginian workers to help them manage their financial affairs during what is the worst economic crisis they have suffered since The Great Depression.

Looking ahead, I see Virginia's 35th District as a vibrant, diverse, and progressive community with much untapped economic potential. I would seek to help generate more "green" jobs to lead Virginia towards a renewable energy economy while we respect and protect Virginia's natural beauty and environment. I would also seek to invest more funds for providing greater internet access to further develop Virginia's electronic infrastructure. Additionally, I would support more research and development funding for Virginia's universities. This would encourage a Virginia economy based on "the best and the brightest" it has to offer it's citizens. Expanded funding for small business and entrepreneurship programs will also help Virginia continue as a national leader in job innovation.

With your help, I will be able to help Virginia's citizens heal their economy as I represent it's 35th Delegate District. I will work to have Virginia's General Assembly consider policies that will encourage even greater opportunities and prosperity for Virginia's businesses and workers as we strive for a complete and full economic recovery.  

Help me be Virginia's next 35th District Delegate

To GET INVOLVED!

To Contribute

No comments:

Post a Comment